Author Topic: Confirmed: Gronholm returns to rallying  (Read 3849 times)

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
    • www.flyingtiger.ca  http://shop.flyingtiger.ca
Confirmed: Gronholm returns to rallying
« on: April 17, 2008, 08:44:30 AM »

Marcus Gronholm will drive a 600 BHP Ford Fiesta in the European Rallycross Championship.
Ford of Sweden today announced that double World Rally Champion Marcus Gronholm will drive a 600bhp Ford Fiesta in up to six rounds of the 2008 European Rallycross Championship division one for Andreas Eriksson's Motor Sport Evolution team. Gronholm, who led the BP Ford World Rally Team to back-to-back manufacturers' titles in the FIA World Rally Championship in 2006 and 2007 before retiring from the sport, may also compete in additional Nordic rallycross events.
Greg Johnson

"I am convinced that this will be an interesting experience," said the former World Rally Champion. "The engine power is amazing and it will be exciting to see how well I can perform in the explosive, short races.

"I plan to participate in five or six European Championship events this year and then we'll have to see how things develop," he added. "I have thought about this for a long time and now it's time to try something new. During my short test-drive I was impressed by the 600 horsepower engine, but it's still hard to say anything about the driving characteristics since I have too little experience in rallycross."

Eriksson was quick to welcome Gronholm into his team, saying WRC star's addition would only be positive for his outfit. "I will drive in the entire European Championship series, but there are certainly drivers that would like to jump in and try the sport," said Eriksson. "With back-up from Marcus Gronholm, my European Championship chances will increase this year."

This will be Gronholm's first experience of top level rallycross and the opening round of the championship will be in Portugal on 3-4 May.

After retiring from rallying at the end of last season, the 40-year-old Finn took up a role as an ambassador for Ford of Europe. During his time 'away' from the sport he has acted as a high-profile coach to Norwegian youngster Andreas Mikkelsen and will drive the double zero car on the upcoming Rally of Portugal, in addition to an appearance at the Rally Show in England.