Author Topic: Summer travellers' special - spare wheel  (Read 11047 times)

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
    • www.flyingtiger.ca  http://shop.flyingtiger.ca
Summer travellers' special - spare wheel
« on: July 13, 2007, 01:16:07 PM »
We know that many of you do like to travel long distance with the Smart Fortwo. There is a peace of mind in case you encounter a cut tire.

A single steel rim mounted with 145/65r15 Continental Eco contact tires for $180.

We may also have slightly used units at $145.

Offline SmartieUSA

Re: Summer travellers' special - spare wheel
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 01:56:19 PM »
I hope this is a silly question but ...
Where do you put the spare?  Unless you hang it on the outside of the car there would be no room for luggage.

Putting it on the roof would be way to Beverly Hillbilly for you proper Canadians.
And for us americans they could mistake us for just another Schrunk Hummer (Jeep). ;-)

So where do you put it?

Bob

Offline redgaucho

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 02:16:41 PM »

I put my spare right behind the rh seat, and slide the seat back, so it stays wedged in there.  It doesn't move or make any noises.  I also have a tiny jack from a scrapped Zuzuki, which fits fine under the rh seat, and a deep socket/breaker bar set, for the lug bolts, that I keep in the rear compartment, with my safety triangle.

I drive over 3000 miles/4800km per month and it does give me a little piece of mind to have these onboard.

Regards,

Serge T

Serge
05 smart Pulse, "Bugger", 47k miles
85 MBenz 300 CDT, "Kaiser", 187k
94 MBenz C280, "Magnolia", 222k
99 Suburban LT, "Bus", 120k

Offline popworks

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 04:06:14 PM »
Question regarding the spare tires available: Since front and back are different sizes, does the spare work for both sizes on just a temporary basis until another permanent tire can be found?
Thanks. JA

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
    • www.flyingtiger.ca  http://shop.flyingtiger.ca
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 08:22:34 PM »
Question regarding the spare tires available: Since front and back are different sizes, does the spare work for both sizes on just a temporary basis until another permanent tire can be found?
Thanks. JA

Hi JA,

As you can see from the open thread. This so call SPARE TIRE is essentially a 3rd front tire for your Smart Fortwo. We DO NOT recommand to downsize the rear tires for a prolong period of time.

Thanks,
Eddy

Offline popworks

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 09:32:21 PM »
Eddy,

Thanks for the info on the spare tires. I thought that might be the case. You're very helpful.
Judith, Vancouver, Wash.