Author Topic: McLaren's lake opens for fishing  (Read 6028 times)

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
    • www.flyingtiger.ca  http://shop.flyingtiger.ca
McLaren's lake opens for fishing
« on: September 05, 2008, 10:19:41 PM »

Thursday, September 4th 2008, 11:48 GMT

Martin Locke, Liam Fairhurst and Martin WhitmarshThe McLaren Technology Centre's circular lake was fished for the very first time this week thanks to a charity initiative.

The fishermen were 13-year-old Liam Fairhurst and McLaren driver Heikki Kovalainen, who raised money for the children's cancer charity CLIC Sargent in memory of Fairhurst's friend, Jack Wilkinson, who died of the disease.

McLaren boss Ron Dennis pledged ?50 for every fish Fairhurst, also fighting cancer, caught.

The 13-year-old caught 25 fish, while dozens of McLaren Group employees also pledged to sponsor his fishing exploits.

"Thanks to my brilliant fishing instructor, Martin Locke, we were able to complete our challenge and in the process caught 25 carp," he said. "Thank you to everyone at McLaren who came out to watch me and added to my ever growing total on my Just Giving page and to everyone else who has donated.

"With Ron's money we are nearly up to ?3000 which will make a huge difference to families like mine and this now takes my grand fundraising total to just over ?278,000. I'm back in hospital for chemo this week but wanted you all to know how much I enjoyed yesterday and how it took my mind off hospitals. Thanks to all of you."

Dennis added: "Liam has shown greating fighting spirit - both in coping with his illness and his determination to raise funds for and awareness of CLIC Sargent - which is a hugely worthwhile charity. Like myself, Liam couldn't resist a challenge and showed huge prowess with a fishing rod.

"He has earned the admiration and respect of a huge number of our employees who have stepped in to sponsor him, and the awareness raised via the internet has helped raise a significant amount of money for the charity. His efforts have been suitably rewarded and we at McLaren are proud to have played a role in his commendable fund-raising efforts."